Acrylic is a very common kind of sound barrier transparent material. The chemical name of acrylic is the abbreviation of methylmethacrylate. Because of its unique excellent performance, it has become a substitute for glass.
1. Acrylic density is lower than glass: Acrylic density is about 1.15-1.19g/cm3, which is half of glass (2.40-2.80g/cm3) and 43% of metal aluminum.
2. Acrylic has high mechanical strength: PMMA has a relative molecular mass of about 2 million, which is a long-chain polymer, and the molecular chain forming it is very soft. Therefore, the strength of acrylic is relatively high, and it is resistant to stretching and impact. The capacity is 7 to 18 times higher than ordinary glass. There is a kind of organic glass that has been heated and stretched, and the molecular segments are arranged in an orderly manner, which makes the toughness of the material significantly improved. Nail into this plexiglass, even if the nail penetrates, it will not crack. This plexiglass will also not break into fragments after being penetrated by bullets. Therefore, the stretched acrylic can be used as bulletproof glass and also as a cockpit cover on military aircraft.
3. Acrylic has a low melting point: the melting point of acrylic is about 130–140°C (265–285°F), which is much lower than the high temperature of about 1000 degrees of glass.
4. Acrylic has high light transmittance
a. Visible light: Acrylic is currently the most excellent polymer transparent material, with a light transmittance of 92%, which is higher than that of glass.
b. Ultraviolet light: Quartz can completely transmit ultraviolet light, but the price is high, ordinary glass can only pass 0.6% ultraviolet light. Acrylic can effectively filter ultraviolet light with a wavelength of less than 300nm, but the filtering effect between 300nm and 400nm is poor. Some manufacturers coat acrylic surfaces to increase their effectiveness and properties in filtering ultraviolet light from 300nm to 400nm. On the other hand, when irradiated with ultraviolet light, acrylic has better stability than polycarbonate.
c. Infrared: Acrylic allows infrared rays with a wavelength less than 2800 nm to pass through. Longer wavelengths can basically be blocked. There are special colored acrylic plates that allow specific wavelengths to pass through while blocking visible light.
5. The glass transition temperature of acrylic is about 105°C. It is precisely because acrylic has the advantages of light weight, low price, easy molding, high light transmittance, sound insulation, etc., more and more are used in sound barrier products. Metal sound barriers are used in combination with transparent acrylic sound insulation boards , Which not only plays the role of sound insulation, but also increases the aesthetics of sound barrier products.